Friday, September 3, 2010

Sweet 15 - Friday, September 3, 2010

Morning came early for me as I had to leave home before 8:00 instead of our usual 9:00 hour. So I had to get up an hour earlier. Sister Romo asked if I would go with her to a doctor's appointment. She needed support and a mother figure to help her through it. Nothing too serious, just sensitive.

There was a strong pounding rain storm going on when we woke up and if it would have continued, I would have called a remise to pick the sisters up in Tigre and then me here at our apartment to drive us to the Capital to the appointment. No way was I going to slosh through the wind and rain to the train station, and then who knows what would have greeted us when we got off the train and still had miles to go. However, the rain let up and it was just misting as we walked to the station at 7:45. Being the gentleman and good husband that Rich is, he walked me to the station and waiting until I boarded the train.

The train was crowded and we only had two seats for the three of us. Sister Romo gave hers to me and Sister Shaffer was involved in a conversation with a man across from her. She was telling him about the church and gave him some pamphlets and reading material. We talked non stop all the way to the Capital and near the end I stood up to stretch and let Sister Romo sit down.

Right at the train station, there is a Subte line that took us within 6 or 8 blocks of the Hospital Britanico. It is a hospital that has several clinics in it. We send missionionary there all the time to see doctors if our area doctor recommends that more studies be done on a particular illness. Our area doctor can only do so much to diagnose problems, then they have to see Argentine doctors who are specialists.

When we got off the subway, we only had about 20 minutes to get to the hospital. We started walking, but it was raining lightly and we really didn't know how far it was or exactly where we were going, so I suggested we get a taxi to take us -- even if it wasn't very far. That we did and it was a good decision because he weaved in and out of different streets before ending up at the Britanico. We would have been late and probably with wet feet if we would have walked.

I was interested in seeing this Hospital because now I know where it is and what it looks like. I will be more informed in the future as I direct missionaries there.

When her appointment was over it was near lunch time and I told them I would treat them to lunch. We asked at the information desk about a Burger King or McDonalds and were directed to a McDo's two blocks away. I had a McNifica and the sisters had a Doble McNifica (two patties). Then I asked if they would like some ice cream -- maybe a McFlurry -- and they were all for it. I was too full to indulge, but thoroughly enjoyed watching them savor every bite.

We got a taxi to take us back to the Subte and thought we would be there in a jiff. But this was a little old man and he didn't know where to find the Subte we wanted. He kept driving and driving and the sisters kept telling him we had passed up the street etc. but he had in mind where he thought it was and wouldn't listen. It only took 8 pesos to get us to the hospital, and now his meter was at 17 and we weren't there yet. The sisters tried again to tell him we were going out of our way, but he said he would only charge us 10 pesos and that he liked to take the scenic route and enjoyed talking to people. WHAT?? Good Grief! We ended up on a subway line that was not a direct shot to the Retiro train station. We had to change subways to get there. We were way off course of where we wanted to go. I think that little driver needs to retire. Good thing he only charged us 10 pesos.

I exited the train at Virreyes and the sisters went on to Tigre. At the office things were calm and running smoothly. I entered a couple of baptisms and made a few phone calls, but really couldn't get into much else because it was soon time to leave. Since I had already had my Friday night hamburger at McDonalds for lunch, I would not have another. So we went to McDonalds in the car, after we went on another errand, to get Rich a McNifica to take home to eat.

Later in the evening we were going back to the church to attend Abigail's 15th birthday party. It is tradition that young girls have a big celebration to commemorate turning the age of 15. For boys it is 18. Rich said they did this in Mexico, and Elder Paz said they do it in PerĂº. It must be a Latin thing. Anyway, we were given an invitation a couple weeks ago in church so we were interested in attending.

The cultural hall was all decked out with balloons and decorations, favors to be given out and tables for refreshments.

Carla, the Young Women's President made the cakes and they were professionally done. They looked great.

Roses were given to the birthday girl by her friends. If you are chosen to present her with a flower, it means you are considered a special friend.

The friends lined the entry way holding their rose, and everyone anxiously awaited the arrival of the young 15 year old.

She arrived on the arm of her father and is dressed in a fancy formal dress. She hugged her father as he presented her to the group.

She hugged each friend as they presented her with the rose. Abigail was quite emotional as she went through greeting each friend and relative. She made her way around the room approaching everyone who came.

Part of the tradition is that everyone circles the young woman and take turns going to the center and dancing with her. While standing in the circle the friends and relatives are jiving and dancing in place to the loud music.

The Aylen family was baptized last January and have been very active ever since. They are a good family. The parents are in our Sunday School marriage class.

We got home around 9:00, but after going through the pictures and getting them on the blog, I was falling asleep at the computer, so I gave up and went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. We still love your journal entries. We'll continue the readings everyday until you're home, too. We leave in the morning and we're excited now, at last. Thanks for your thoughtful comment on yesterday's blog. Maybe we'll want to continue our writing. I don't know, but, in any case, we will be thrilled to get together with you in December!!!!!

    ReplyDelete