Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Last Instructions - Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The good weather didn't last! It was cooler today with a heavy cloud cover that was suppose to produce rain -- but didn't, and some wind. I put my liner back in my coat.

Our morning routine moved right along getting us ready to leave by 8:20, but we hung around until about 8:40. We have been enjoying our book on tape, Children of the Promise, and although it is mainly fiction, the events of World War II that are depicted really happened to real people. We are glad we were just babies when that war was going on. Not a pretty time!

After arriving at the office and greeting the elders we all engaged in lively chit chat, and then someone read the email from the President stating he would be coming at 9:30 to go over the schedule for the next two months. The assistants would be joining us.

Promptly on time, President Argyle walked through the door and a few minutes later here came the the trio of Elders Lowry, Lazo, and Neuffer. We sat in a circle and each was given a copy of a July and August calendar with what was scheduled for the new president. We went over the calendars day by day and each took notes as it pertained to himself. Not a leaf was left unturned. President Argyle had thought of EVERYTHING and, in some instances, had a plan B and C if plan A didn't work. He is amazing!

We asked questions, took notes, asked more questions, and became clearly informed as to what was expected and how we were to make this transition run smoothly. He didn't want President Gulbrandsen worrying about anything except meeting missionaries, giving counsel, and conducting interviews. He will be chauffeured around by the assistants and since transfers are next week, we all know what our duties are -- mine including some help with cooking.

After he excused the trio to go back to work, he sat with the four of us in the office and inquired if we had any additional questions. He coupled giving answers with wonderful counsel. He expressed appreciation for what we each do in the office and told the elders that the principles they learn here in the office will carry over to their lives after their missions. He impressed upon them the importance of maintaining a good attitude towards their companions, missionary work, and the covenants they have made in the temple. We were all glued to every word.

It was a sweet experience to have this parting memorable time with the President. After he left, we told the elders what a choice experience it is for them to be in the office at this time, not only to witness this change in leadership of the mission, but to be the recipients of such wise counsel and to have a relationship with their mission president that most elders won't ever get to experience. They readily agreed!

Today was order out Chinese food, so we got Elder Peterson right on it as we were all starved. It took them a long time to deliver it and by the time it came, we were r-e-a-l-l-y hungry. It hit the spot.

The afternoon for me went really fast and I felt like I didn't accomplish much. I really needed to get my supply order sent off, but that didn't happen. I had to leave early today because I had a date with Sister Argyle. She was going to introduce me to the San Isidro shopping district where she has found clothes and other things to buy that are reasonably priced. I was more than willing to go.

I took a remise to the mission home at 3:30 and found the place in total disarray. A cleaning service was in the home cleaning carpets, windows, polishing this and that, and finishing the newly remodeled bedroom and bathroom. A new chandelier hangs in the living room, as does new drapes and curtains to the windows. A "come to the house" car cleaning service was outside, washing the two vehicles inside and out. There was high energy activity going on in every room. Sister Argyle was glad to get out of there.

Anika came with us and we walked a few blocks to the shopping district. When I saw it, I realized that we had walked down one of the streets before, but never stopped in any of the stores. I wasn't planning on buying anything this trip as I need more time to look and try on. There were also a lot of stores that Rich would enjoy browsing through, so we will return at a later time.

When our window shopping was over, I decided to take the train back home. We parted at a corner where I just had a couple blocks to walk to the station. There was standing room only on the train, but I only had three stops to go to get home, so it wasn't bad.

We had a quick dinner of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches so Rich could get to his English class. Then I worked on this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment