Thursday, June 10, 2010

Helping La Hermana - Thursday, June 10, 2010

Today's weather was a repeat of yesterday -- clear, sunny, and in the low 60's. But it never reaches the 60's until the late afternoon, so it really is in the 50's most of the day. Starting tomorrow, it is suppose to deteriorate and rain is expected for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I knew it -- we should have played last Saturday when it was beautiful weather instead of staying home to do computer work and catch up on personal projects.

While the interviews with the President were going on in the church, Elder Kroff and I manned the office. Escobar and Zarate were the last two zones to have interviews tomorrow, so I wanted to start early to get their supplies rounded up. It didn't work quite like I planned because I had a few medical calls come in that necessitated calling the doctor. He wondered if I had written him off, so was glad when I called needing his help.

Knowing I had to be at the Argyles at 3:00 to help la hermana with the tablero board, I paid attention to my task of getting the supplies rounded up and ready to go for the interviews tomorrow. Escobar had a LOT of packages, and with everything else they had six full bins of things to go to that area, plus six boxes of copies of the Book of Mormon. Zarate is our smallest zone and they only had two bins and two boxes of books.

Elders Peterson and Hales returned to the office around noon. The President didn't interview them when he did the rest of the zone, but took them individually into his office when he was through with the others. He didn't have time for our interviews as the AP's were waiting for him to get on the road to Zarate. He was to be there to begin meeting with that zone at 1:30. I'm sure we will get our final interview before he leaves for home. I'm not worried.

For lunch today, the elders shared some of their food with us. Sister Bolentini cooks for them each week giving them food for two days. But, she makes so much that sometimes they have more than they can eat. They also receive food from another sister on Fridays. We accepted their offer and enjoyed a piece of milanesa, beef and peppers in a sauce over rice, corn on the cob, and fruit salad. We were all stuffed.

At 3:30 I went to the mission home in a remise to help Sister Argyle update the transfer board and add the dates and necessary information on each elder's transfer that just took place. After we drove off and a few blocks into the journey, I realized that I didn't have enough money to pay the driver. I checked my purse and all I had was 12 pesos. It usually costs anywhere from 15 to 20 pesos to go that far. It depends on whatever the driver charges. I called Rich and he knew the reason for my call. He thought of the same thing as we drove off. The remise company we use knows the mission well, and they know us. Often we use them and then they stop by for the money afterwards. The driver was one that has taken us to Tigre to church several times, so I knew he would do the same. I handed the phone to him and Rich asked if he would stop by on his way back for payment. "No problema," he said.

The tablero (transfer) board contains a card with the picture of each missionary and a space to indicate the different zones to which they have been assigned. These are indicated by colors. On the back the missionary's companion is listed and the date they came together. If nothing changes, then ditto marks are used. It is a history of where the missionary has served, for how long, and with whom. When the missionary goes home, he receives this card in his packet.

Every six weeks, Sister Argyle updates the colors and the writing on the back. It is a big job, but has to be done. Last transfer and this one she has asked for my help as she has been too busy to do it by herself. I am glad to help.

We finished that part of the updates, and then I started adding magnetic strips to the back of the cards. Right now velcro is used to adhere the cards to the board which is covered in a flannel like material. But, a new magnetic board has been ordered which will be nicer and easier to use. So, I started cutting the strips and putting them on the back of the cards so they would be done when the new board is installed. It takes a long time and I could not finish before it was time to go home. I am returning tomorrow.Numbered List

Before getting started on our project, she showed me how the bedroom and bathroom remodeling is going. Progress is being made, but what a scene. The movers come tomorrow to pack up all of their things, so the dining room is stacked with everything going home. I took a picture of it to show Rich, but told her I wouldn't put it on the blog. She appreciated that.

Since I didn't have enough money for a return trip home, I was going to take the train. Sister Argyle wouldn't hear of it and called the remise company they use to take me home. She was going to have it added to their bill. All I had to do was sign the slip.

I got home at 7:00, ate something light for dinner, and wrote this entry. We received word that Van Heder from Tooele passed away from Leukemia. We were in the same ward with his family ten years ago before we moved. So sad!

No comments:

Post a Comment