Thursday, September 16, 2010

Zone Conference - Thursday, September 16, 2010

Whatever was bugging me the last couple of days passed and I felt fine when I woke up this morning. Besides, I don't have time to be sick. We anticipated a great day with the missionaries and the Gulbrandsens in our Zone Conference.

We arrived at the office too close to the starting time and realized we should have left earlier. I had to call the doctor about an ill missionary and Rich had to send some money in a remise to some Zone Leaders in the Capital area. So we sneaked in a little late and took our places. We are never able to zone in completely to what is going on as I have to leave to answer my phone, that is on silent and just buzzes, in case a medical call comes in. And Elder Kroff has to listen for the sound when someone rings at our gate, so we don't miss the postman. Each of us had to get up and leave the room once. The missionaries are used to it, but we didn't warn the Gulbrandsens about the interruptions.

Four missionaries sang a hymn without accompaniment and their voices blended beautifully. They were Elders Lowry, Peterson, Denton, and Labra. It was great and brought the spirit into the meeting. Then the President showed the DVD, the First Vision, and following had selected missionaries come forward and tell when was the first time they realized that Joseph Smith was a prophet. He, then, talked about the role of the Savior in the Plan of Salvation, and the importance of receiving revelation during their planning meetings with their companions.

When the group was divided up to practice some things they learned, we slipped out to the office to take care of a few matters, since we were not needed in this exercise.

We didn't go, however, until we were entertained by Elder Mohulamu doing the Haka. The President asked if all the missionaries wanted to join him, but there were no takers. Everyone wanted to just observe with cameras in hand. He was a member of the U.S. Rugby team and this version of it was done before their games. Later in the day, I asked him about the one the BYU football team does and he said it depends on what island a person is from as to what they learn and demonstrate. His tongue was flapping wildly in this version. He is from Tonga, but was called on his mission from the United States. It was fun to watch.

Noon came quickly and the Assistants sent Elder Kroff off in the van to pick up the empanadas that were ordered. There was a miscommunication between the Assistants and two sets of Zone Leaders regarding the arrangements for lunch. Usually a member prepares a hot meal for the group, but nothing was organized so they resorted to the good old standby of empanadas. They are good and our Nobel guy does them to perfection, but we had just had them for two lunches last week during the Leadership Training and would have preferred something different. Oh well! It took away the hunger pains. Some beautiful facturas (pastries) were purchased and each person received two. We only took one a piece which was plenty for us.

After lunch the group was divided up again with some going into one room to have a lesson on health from Sister Gulbrandsen, and some remained in the cultural hall to receive more inspired instruction. We checked things out, but could see that we were not needed, so we went back to the office to take care of some matters.

I still needed to prepare the bins of mail and supplies for tomorrows conferences with Escobar and Zarate. I used up all the bins I had, and now had to wait until some were emptied by the group today before I could finish. There was a LOT of mail received this time around and I painstakingly divide, sort, mark, and organize to get it out to the missionaries in an orderly manner. Invariably, there is someone who comes to me after all the mail is distributed and asks if there is a package for him that I have missed -- that his mom sent it two months ago. I just have to laugh because I am so glad to get everything off the shelves and into the hands of the recipients. Of course, I wouldn't be holding something back. Ya gotta love em!!! Sometimes I feel like going out and buying something for some elders that rarely receive something from home.

The zones met for a combined group picture. This is the first one of many that the missionaries will have with the Gulbrandsens.

By the time we got everyone out of the church/office and all of the supplies out front to be picked up by the Assistants, we got home around 6:00. Elder Davis went with Sister Gulbrandsen tonight so I decided to just have French Toast for dinner. Easy, and just enough for what hunger we had.

It was a quiet night and very welcomed. It has been a busy, hectic week with all the conferences going on each day. I'm glad I don't have to work in my supply room tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment