Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Love What We Do - Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Getting ready for the day seemed strange without our book on tape, Children of the Promise, to listen to. We finished the series yesterday and have not found anything new to download. Rich has been surfing around trying to come up with a good book, but hasn't been successful yet. Well, he has thought of some, but they aren't available on audio. Any suggestions??

We look forward going to the office each day. Sometimes I think of our age, the hour we get up, the work we do (sometimes with stress), the conveniences we live without, and we still get excited to meet each day and be with the elders in the office. We have never felt, even once, that "it would surely be nice to stay home today." This work is so gratifying that the spirit sustains us and we are blessed with a positive attitude and the drive to do all we can while serving in this mission.

When we got to work, these six elders Hansen (Calif) Jimenez (Mexico), Rivas (Chile), Parra (Chile), Rodriquez (Uruguay), and León (Chile) were lined up waiting on a bench in the overflow area of the chapel waiting to go to Immigrations with Elder Peterson. Yes, again he is involved with legalizing missionaries today. What a job! This takes up a great deal of his time. My positive attitude might suffer if I had that job, but he takes it in stride and is NEVER upset or moody when things get hectic and stressful. What a guy! It was fun seeing these elders first thing this morning.

My medical calls were limited today and all I had to do was a couple follow up things. So, I started entering baptisms and felt overjoyed that I didn't run into many problems. Most were clear and readable and information was not left out. I will finish them up tomorrow, hopefully.

The computer guy was with us all day long working on the virus problem. So Elder Paz was displaced not having his computer available to him. He worked on Elder Peterson's computer when Elder Davis was not working there. But when the computer whiz took that machine over, then two elders were misplaced. It was an odd day for them.

The Assistants were in the President's office working on the data and waiting for the Gulbrandsen's to arrive. They were coming today to have a meeting with the Assistants and maybe all of us. Are we having our transfer meeting today??

We enjoy it when Sister Gulbrandsen comes to the office. She is delightful and easy to talk to. We haven't seen her for several days so we enjoyed visiting with her. She is going to start taking over the medical calls, which is part of her responsibilities. She realizes that she needs to learn what I do sooner or later, and it will be hard for me to take medical calls when our daughters are here. When she comes back to the office tomorrow, I will train her in the medical matters and turn over the books that I have. Probably until we leave, she and I will share the duties.

Elders Kroff and Lowry left at 4:30 by train to go to the Capital. Elder Lowry had a dentist appointment and asked Rich to accompany him. They took a taxi from Retiro to get to the dentist and were fifteen minutes late due to bad traffic. They came back to San Fernando the same way, and after finding Elder Lazo so Elder Lowry would have companionship, Rich got home at 8:30.

I was happy to be home and have alone time to organize my medical books and notes to turn over to Hna Gulbrandsen tomorrow. Then I started on my two days of entries so I would be caught up. I really need to iron some shirts. Wonder when that will happen?

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture of the missionaries and their smiles. I just finishes reading a out your week, thank you for sharing!

    For audio books, do you like historical fiction like Don Coldsmith or Louis L'Amour? Not inspiring books but they write very interesting stories about how America was settled.

    Cliff Watson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we like historical fiction. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete