When my eyes opened this morning, the thoughts of a new six weeks flooded my mind. Now that we have been through transfers for a year, I know what is down the road and for the next three or four weeks I will be under deadlines feeling some stress. I should be used to it.
After we brought the President's car back last night, we decided to park it here in our secured parking area rather than taking it to the office. So today, it was a treat to have a ride to work. I contemplated whether to just walk the walk while Rich drove to see if driving would save any time. Driving to the office requires a different route than just walking due to the one way streets. I'll bet driving and walking are pretty close in the amount of time it takes. But, I couldn't bring myself to give up a ride even for the short distance.
We had a couple hours at work before all the transferring missionaries would be upon us, so we all kept busy until about 11:00. Then Elders Kroff and Hales set up the tables and chairs in the cultural hall to get ready for the trainers meeting. I washed the fruit which was to be consumed with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, and a drink of tang. The trainers get fed and then receive training from the assistants. A change in the schedule had Elder Kroff and Elder Hales talking to the trainers instead of going to the mission home to give training to the new missionaries. They are so tired, and some very visably sleepy having just flown overnight to get here. They don't retain much of what they hear that first day. So the President wanted the trainers to be given all the information and they would then train their new companions after they had a night's rest. We'll see if this helps the new missionaries learn and understand better.
This was a big transfer day -- lots of movement. And a new change the President made is having two zone leaders per zone rather than just one. We are not sure if this is in the handbook or if it is something he is implementing on his own. The two zone leaders will be companions and it will make it easier to get around the zones conducting exchanges with two doing it rather than one. Plus, I am sure there are other reasons the President has for doing it.
But I don't think I'll give up the position as it is easy for me to get there early to play prelude, and sometimes the sisters are busy bringing investigatiors and they walk in late ocassionaly. But we are happy to have Sister Shaffer with us. She is bubbly and cute and happy to be back.
When all the instruction ended, there was still some time remaining before the assistants took the trainers to the mission home to pick up their new companions. So they practiced singing "Called to Serve" as they walked single file around the chapel. When the trainers first meet the new arrivals, they march in from the President's garage single file down the hall all singing this hymn, ending up in the living room where everyone is assembled. Then the President announces the pairs and each greet with an abrazo and their picture is taken together. It is exciting and quite impressive, Rich said.
Our office elders needed Elder Kroff to go with them to an appointment at 5:00 with a woman they are teaching. Then his English class was at 6:30, so he didn't make it home until after his class which was about 8:00. I came home and worked on the journal entry to try to get caught up. I tried to get two done in one night, but I kept falling asleep at the computer, so I gave up and went to bed. It was about 11:30. I'll try again tomorrow night.
No comments:
Post a Comment